Why Should I Join?
The Irving League encourages informed and active participation in government at all levels and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Through participation in League meetings, Voter Service Registration activities, Legislative Action committees and other activities you will: contribute valuable service to the community, gain knowledge and experience through the study and discussion of timely and important topics, discover new interests, develop new skills, and learn about crucial issues presented at our general meetings. Additionally, you will make professional contacts and develop lasting friendships as you meet others in the League who share your interests.
Who Are The Members?
Membership in the League of Women Voters, the most respected and effective grassroots organization in the country, is open to men and women eighteen years old or older.
Our members make a visible difference by serving as community leaders using their experience to create positive, lasting change in our communities.
Remember, the League of Women Voters is strictly nonpartisan; it neither supports nor opposes candidates for office at any level of government.
What Do I Get?
You automatically become a member of LWV Texas and LWV of the United States.
You become part of America's informed democracy by receiving LWV publications along with the email notices "Keeping Us Connected" from the Irving League of Women Voters which keeps you informed about action alerts, meetings, and events.
You will have the knowledge that you are adding your voice to a powerful force of members from all 50 states, Washington DC, the Virgin Islands, and Hong Kong.
What Do We Do?
- We PUBLISH and have on line Voters Guide, VOTE411, Your Elected Officials, and distribute e-mail notices called "Keeping Us Connected" to ensure our members and community are aware of meetings and events.
- We ENCOURAGE participation in the democratic process through voter registration drives, citizen education, and public involvement.
- We MONITOR and take action on the activities of legislative bodies and commissions and inform the results of our actions to members.
- We SPONSOR candidate forums for local elections and conduct public meetings about vital issues.
- We COOPERATE with other organizations that share our goals.
How Much Time Does It Take?
The time required is completely up to you and is solely dependent on your involvement. Many members choose to support the League only with their annual dues. Your membership alone gives us the political influence needed to build a non-partisan voice for citizens and a force for change. We cover a broad spectrum of issues and concerns; you may choose to become involved in one or more of them by actively participating in a group study, or listening to a panel of experts at a meeting, or just reading about them in one of our publications.
Donating To Us
If you prefer to donate to us without joining our organization, we would appreciate your support. Just click here now.